Older adults want to remain in their homes as long as possible. In some instances, they may need some support or assistance with daily living tasks. Our Telespond Senior Services’ Senior Companions are here to help. This program was designed to help our region’s older adults remain independent and in their homes as long as possible and encourage friendship and connection with other seniors in the community. This is a free service for a few hours, one or two days a week available to Lackawanna County’s elder population.
Our Senior Companion Program Volunteers provide:
- Assistance with daily tasks
- Encouragement to remain active and connected
- A watchful eye to notice when a client may need extra care
- Friendships that can last a lifetime
Senior Companion Program Volunteers also provide needed respite for caregivers so they can run errands, take a needed break or tend to themselves, their families and other commitments.
If you’d like to learn more about Telespond Senior Services’ Senior Companion Program, please contact Nancy Grzenda.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (570) 347-7911
Would you or someone you know enjoy serving as a Senior Companion Volunteer?
Our invaluable volunteers make life-changing connections with older adults, assist them in basic but essential ways and significantly contribute to their quality of life. Adults 55 or older who want to share their experience and compassion for others are perfect candidates to become a Senior Companion Program Volunteer. Senior Companions help our clients maintain their independence and stay in their own homes. Senior Companion Volunteers become valued members of our client’s support system while also experiencing the joy and fulfillment that comes from helping others.
Senior Companions must be:
- Over 55 years of age
- Able to volunteer between 5 to 40 hours/week
- Energized by helping others
Senior Companion Volunteers receive:
- A small tax-free financial stipend that does not endanger your Social Security Income, PACE, Rent Rebates or other government entitlement programs
- Paid pre-service training and on-going training, vacation time and holidays
- Transportation cost (mileage) reimbursement
- The joy of helping others live on their own
Volunteering leads to new discoveries and new friends, and studies show that volunteering helps you live longer and maintain a positive outlook on life. If becoming a Senior Companion Volunteer sounds appealing to you, please get in touch. We’d love connect with you and introduce you to a current Senior Companion so you can ask questions and learn more about the program and volunteer benefits.
In the meantime, learn a bit more about some of our valued Senior Companion Volunteers and their experiences by clicking the buttons to the left.
In April 2021, Telespond received an award from the PNC Foundation to further strengthen our Senior Companion program. Learn how the funds will help us make a difference in the lives of isolated seniors.